Saturday 8 May 2010

Date Night - Cineworld - 8/5/10

As has already been well documented on this blog I love a rom-com.

I'm not ashamed of that.

It can't all be Ozu and new European cinema you know.

Light and shade and all that.

Here the premise is as ridiculous as another "favourite" of mine from this year "Did You Hear About the Morgans?" as Phil and Claire Foster (Steve Carell and Tina Fey) also fall foul of gangsters and have to extricate themselves from an entirely improbable set of circumstances. What the set up is is completely unimportant, all that ever matters in these films is; did you laugh and did you enjoy the relationship between the leads. The answer here is yes to both. These are not films that are made to win awards or prompt deep discussion, they are meant to be light, frothy and fun. Some people get very sniffy about this sort of film...but those people can go to hell because I laughed more than once during "Date Night" and I loved the relationship between Carell and Fey.

So there.

1 comment:

  1. I seen this when I was over in America and I felt like I was the only person who wasn't really at everything that either of them said. I didn't particularly enjoy especially as I think Steve Carrell is basically a Mr. Bean that speaks ... a lot.

    ReplyDelete